How Precious are Your Thoughts

Inspired by Psalm 139:17 "How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!"

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Personal Retreat

Just came back from a 2-day personal retreat at GSO. The experience was very refreshing. But more about it in a while.

Stepped home to 2 new things at home – my dad collected his new car yesterday and I got to drive it for a while just now ;) Noticeably, my dad, my bro and I were all extra cautious while driving the car. For me, got to adapt to manoeuvring it on the roads and while parking! Also, the cable guys came to do up the starhub connection for us on Thu. So yes, we’ve got some new channels to watch! Especially excited about the sports channels, come EPL season! Hee.

Ok, back to the retreat… This is my 3rd time to the GSO to have individually directed silent retreat. The previous times were back in 2003 and 2004 I think. It was nice going back to the familiar environment and meeting the familiar sisters who upkeep the premise. It is indeed a sanctuary for all who stepped in for retreats, judging by the many entries written in the guestbook. Since I have gotten my new phone with good camera features, I have decided to capture some of the views that I enjoyed during the retreat.

Pic taken from the rooftop garden, liked sitting on the swing in the mornings and evenings

Lush greenery surrounded the entire premise. I was free to roam about the place.

One of my aims of going for the retreat was to offload some of the worldly thoughts and attitudes that have permeated my system, and to embrace again God’s Truths for me. I spent many precious moments with the Lord during these 2 days. My initial fear of not really knowing if I can ‘tahan’ this entire period of solitude was quite unfounded. Cos I relish the times of coming to Him just as I am, and being open to what He wishes to tell me. And I found strength when I realized that God is indeed meeting me at my point of need. So personal! Amazing.

Both evenings, I ventured out to the nearby MacRitchie Park to jog and to stroll with God. The first day I couldn’t resist jogging cos everyone was jogging! And the boardwalk by the Reservoir was very inviting. So I jogged and jogged… not sure how, but I ended up with a strained left knee when I returned to the retreat centre. Its painful when I bend the knee while exerting pressure. Can hardly take my own weight when I bend it. Oh well, maybe overstrain, after long period of non-exercise. Hmmm. Second evening, I chose to stroll along instead. Enjoyed the Lord’s companionship very much.



One other thing I enjoyed during the retreat is the delicious home-cooked meals provided. There is soup served every meal. I have taken some shots of the food. Though they do not look too fabulous, believe me, they taste fantastic. I was very well fed during the retreat. Hee, both physically and spiritually.


Everyday, SH came to meet me as my spiritual director. She is so gentle and sweet, raising many probing questions about my time with God, and allowing me to process through my experiences.


I am so grateful to come away for the retreat, and to spend the much needed time with God. And yes, I have been refreshed much. Praise be to Him!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Gene said…

    I always enjoy reading your blog, esp the posts about your journey with God. :) It's always refreshing after all the toil and labour.

    Eu-Gene

     

Post a Comment

<< Home