How Precious are Your Thoughts

Inspired by Psalm 139:17 "How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!"

Monday, January 15, 2007

Tribute to a friend and a brother

I am deeply saddened by the demise of a beloved brother in the Hope family. It came as a total shock to all of us that brother William Loo should leave us in such a sudden manner yesterday morning.

“Ah Loo” as he was affectionately called had been an inspiration to many of us in so many aspects. He was such a fun, cheerful, friendly and optimistic person. When I think of him, I always picture him with a wide, radiant smile on his face, cos that was how he usually greeted us whenever we meet.

I remember when he first joined the CGL meetings, he brought along such a wave of enthusiasm that we could not help but be influenced by his excitement. He had such a positive attitude about him. And this optimism did not dwindle as time went by. His love for God and heart of service was clearly evident as we interacted with him.

William was in charge of the Welcome ministry, and he served there, together with Lucy and the ushers. I remember how he initiated welcome lunches for newcomers to Hope, and how he spent much effort coming up with the Hope directory. He would email and email all the cell group leaders for updates of information, consolidate them and ask us to check through. The result is a really beautiful Hope directory folder. When I was going through my archived emails, there were many emails from William pertaining to various Hope matters. William had been one of the very responsive recipient and he had contributed much ideas to us all.

William was one of our better players in Frisbee. Yet, he was humble and sought to help us improve our skills. He was very encouraging and patient with us, especially the gals. I remember many times when he would walk up to me after or during Frisbee sessions, and give me a tip or two on how I could improve, and where my weaknesses are. He would practice the throws with me, till I kinda get it correctly. These, he conveyed with such gentleness and sincerity, that I could readily receive with gratitude.

William was a very dynamic worship leader. I always enjoyed the worship practices with him. He never failed to encourage me whenever I encountered difficulties playing any songs on the keyboard. I remember times when he wanted to introduce new songs to us, he was very thoughtful, and he sent the mp3 file to me in advance, so that I could familiarize with the songs beforehand.
There was an email he sent to provide me the lyrics of the worship songs. He had written “Hope you enjoyed the worship practice yesterday. I know I did. Thanks.” It was just a simple 1-liner, yet it managed to spread his positive vibes to me. I thank God that I knew such a friend like him. One of the songs that he taught us was “Throne of Praise”. I always associated that song with "Ah Loo" as he liked to choose the song when he led worship. The lyrics echoed his heartbeat for worship and praises to the Lord.

As pastor Sng mentioned to Elaine yesterday at the wake, whenever we take the Lord’s supper and we recite the phrase about having the angels, heavenly beings and saints cheering us on, we remember that Ah Loo is there with them. And we can take comfort that he is at a better place now. The call is now for Hope to rise up and be the family to Elaine and Estelle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home